We don’t need dairy
Dairy is natures perfect food…if you’re a calf that is.
We don’t need dairy in our lives, it’s completely unnecessary from a health and nutritional point of view.
From an evolutionary point of view, cows milk is a strange food for humans. Until 10,000 years ago we didn’t domesticate animals and weren’t able to drink milk (unless a brave hunter-gatherer milked a wild tiger or buffalo!).
Don’t believe me? Consider this: The majority of humans naturally stop producing significant amounts of lactase – the enzyme needed to properly metabolise lactose, the sugar in milk — sometime between the ages of two and five. For most mammals, the normal condition is to stop producing the enzymes needed to properly digest and metabolise milk after they have been weaned.
Our bodies just weren’t made to digest milk on a regular basis and this is evident in the fact that 75% of the worlds population experience symptoms of lactose intolerance. So many people choose to ignore these symptoms and consider that bloated feeling or that Asthma ‘normal’. We are meant to feel vibrant, light and energised, not heavy, dull and fatigued so why would someone consider this blah feeling normal??
Instead, most scientists agree that it’s better for us to get calcium, potassium, protein, and fats from other food sources, like whole plant foods — vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and seaweed.
Plant based sources of calcium
Here’s the cold white facts for you-
1. Milk doesn’t reduce fractures: Contrary to popular belief, eating dairy products has never been shown to reduce fracture risk. In fact, according to the Nurses’ Health Study dairy may actually increase risk of fractures by 50 percent!
2. Less dairy= better bones: Countries with the lowest rates of dairy consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis. Coincidence?
3. Calcium doesn’t protect our bones as much as you think: Studies of calcium supplementation have shown no benefit in reducing fracture risk. Vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures.
4. Dairy may raise cancer risk: Research shows that higher intakes of dairy products may actually increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent.
5. Not everyone can stomach dairy: About 75 percent of the world’s population is genetically unable to properly digest milk and other dairy products — a problem we know as being lactose intolerance.
So with all of this in mind, why don’t you consider going dairy free for a week or two with us here at My Goodness Organics and see how it makes you feel? Every meal we make is free from dairy, gluten and refined sugar.
You should notice some pretty significant improvements in your general energy levels. If you experience chronic asthma, allergies or sinus problems, these should also dissipate along with headaches or irritable bowels.
Give your body a break and show it some love x